Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Call me whatever you want.

I grew up listening  to several back-handed compliments and straight out criticisms of my personality. 

The first one I ever remember hearing was that I talk too much.  This was tricky for me because 1. there was just so much that I wanted to say and 2. I could never figure out what the socially appropriate number of words were.  It was probably true and pretty hurtful.

The second one that was repeated over and over again was interchangeably describing me as "too sensitive" and "over-reacted" to things.  Again, these personality flaws  were treated as serious as lying or stealing, but they didn't have formal instructions as to when I could  hurt for myself or others or when I should express some righteous indignation.  Everyone seemed to intuitively understand when to talk and how to react in a socially acceptable manner but for me it was all very murky.

The worst of them all, the characteristic which has been used my entire life, is "passionate". It is always presented as a compliment but it echos the rings of over-reacting and sensibility that I was accused of early on.  I never hear it as a compliment. It was confusing to grow up hearing words that seemed to describe a positive attribute but so often used to insult or correct my behavior.

This morning my 7 year old precious son handed me a picture his teacher had the kids make for Mother's Day.  It was a flower, which he colored brilliantly.  Above it said, "God could not be everywhere, so He created Mothers".

Yes. I get it. I understand that my son colored a beautiful picture for me out of love and celebration for the holiday.  I understand that it is the thought that counts and the teacher probably meant nothing more than to help the children recognize the importance of motherhood.  I DO GET IT.

But I can't help myself and the offense I feel.  On behalf of my faith, my church and the bucket-load of cash I pay this Catholic private school every month, I just HAVE to ask, "What in the world are you teaching my son??" Why do they have to make my life so much more difficult? Now I have to explain to the school that they are inadvertently teaching heresy to my child.

#1 God is indeed everywhere
#2 God does not need help.
#3 Mothers, however special, are not god or substitutes for God.

I also understand that I could not say anything and let it pass. It would be easier for me and for the school if I didn't address this issue. I wouldn't embarrass myself and the school would not think I am a lunatic. But what does God think?  When I stand before Him, is He going to ask why I didn't stand up to other Christians when they misrepresented the creator of the universe?  Is He going to say, Oh, Susan, you are so overly-sensitive. I don't really care."

So am I being over-sensitive? Am I over-reacting? No. I don't think so. If it is ever appropriate to be sensitive and react, it is when it comes to the glory of my God and the salvation of my soul. Am I passionate about what I believe? You bet. And I am not sorry for any of it, not at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment