Friday, June 1, 2012

Buzzards to Blessings

Many years ago I watched my husband stand in the airport of a foreign country.  He and I with our 1 year old daughter were getting ready to fly home to the U.S. but we had to make a stop in Miami and spend the night in a hotel.

My husband stood there, surrounded by a group of people, and he opened his wallet and held it out.  The folks surrounding him pushed and picked, taking every last dollar until my husband held his wallet upside down and said "It's empty."

For a long time this memory made my stomach hurt.  The people seemed almost like buzzards, swooping down and grabbing what they could.   I remember watching in disgust as my husbands hard earned money went to people who seemed not to appreciate his gift. I was so worried about our trip home.  What if we had an emergency?  We needed that money!

This memory had changed for me as I changed my focus from the group  of people to the expression on my husbands face.  He was joyful, smiling and laughing from the very bottom of his belly at the honor he was being given to provide for others.  I love this memory now.  It shows, not just the generosity of my great husband, but the depth of his faith.  He never worried about our trip home.  His security is not linked to money, the way mine is.  It is a gift that only a life of poverty can give, true faith that God will provide for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment