Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cha-Ching-Are Christians Supposed to Seek Wealth?

Are Christians supposed to seek wealth?


 This question nips at my heels because I really (REALLY) like money.  I don't have a lot of it, although I am payed well for a social worker and I am not complaining.  The questions nags because I have nightmares that I will stand before God for judgment and, after checking my credit score, He will want to know if I refinanced my house as I should have. God will be considering my application for Sainthood while MBA's and CEO's  waltz through the golden gates as God gives them a fist bump, "Well done, good and faithful servant! Way to rock that dot.com bust!" Yikes.

I do wonder about wealth.  I grew up in the grand capital of "non-denominational" "sowing seeds" kind of churches.  The preachers who call themselves deacons or bishops but have no real credentials.  The churches that promise, on God's behalf, a high yield of return on your tithe; the churches that announce the names of tithers and the amount they give to thundering applause.  These churches believe in wealth.  After all, didn't Jesus come that we might have life and have it abundantly?

I am gambling my life's comfort on No.  I drive by insanely large estates and beautiful houses and I feel my stomach squeeze with desire.  I work with some of the best dressed people you could ever see and swallow my embarrassment at how I look.  I cry actual tears because I know my children lack the newest gadget or the right clothes.  I could make more money, work harder, save more.  I could pull my children out of Catholic school and as my expendable income would sky-rocket, I could make a grab for all kinds of goodies. 

I am not snooty about living in poverty.  I am horribly jealous of my friends with their lovely gardens and swimming pools.  I fantasize of winning the lottery and buying my family all kinds of expensive baubles .  I don't seek out wealth because I know that I am weak and would spend it all on myself, despite my commitment to serve the poor. 

An old friend told me a few weeks ago, that Christ only asked that one guy to sell everything he had because the man loved money more than God.  My friend explained that this is this not an actual order to all Christians, just to this one man.  Bummer that this is  not how the followers of Christ interpreted this command.   

The community of believers was of one heart and mind,
and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own,
but they had everything in common.
With great power the apostles bore witness
to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus,
and great favor was accorded them all.
There was no needy person among them,
for those who owned property or houses would sell them,
bring the proceeds of the sale,
and put them at the feet of the apostles,
and they were distributed to each according to need.


No One Was In Need!! Are you kidding me? How freaking awesome is that?!?! Consider poverty,  Come along side the Saints we all admire; Mother T. wasn't the exception.  She was the rule for all who follow Christ.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment