Sunday, April 8, 2012

Upon Being Catholic- What are we missing?

My family visited a non-denominational church over the weekend to take in their Easter production.  The church really did a wonderful job.  Aside from some minor scriptural errors it was just a great evening. 

We are Catholic through and through but I can see the glamour that could tempt someone away.  It’s kind of like getting really excited about a new house that has a pool and a tree house to play in but not paying much attention to the foundation of the home.  There was loud music and pretty lights. There was a smoke machine and super comfy chairs.   It was all very entertaining.  Even my wiggly worm of a son sat through most of the service. 

But beyond the theatrics, there are some things I would love to see the Catholic church adopt:

1)The door greeters.  I truly believe they were glad we were there.  They seemed sincere     welcoming me and my family.  There were big smiles and strong handshakes.  I felt immediately at ease. 
2 )Dress Code.  There wasn’t one!  No one checked the clothes my family was wearing.  There were no signs demanding that no one wear shorts or that everyone spit out their gum.
3) Everyone Sings! Catholics are a bit odd sometimes.  We think that the choir sings and everyone else listens.  It was nice to hear everyone in the building singing.
4) Fresh Flowers in the bathroom.  That’s just me being fancy.
5) A coffee bar in the lobby.  Can't think of a reason why we shouldn't have one.


 Of course none of this compares to transubstantiation or the sacraments, but a friendly handshake and a coffee bar would be some great additions to our parish.

Happy Easter.  Celebrate the Risen Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment