Friday, April 13, 2012

Social Work Confessions- What Makes It Worth It.

Social Work is a messy profession, but even among social workers my job is creepy and a little too messy for most people to  be comfortable with. My 8/5 job is spent reading the medical records of babies who have died and interviewing their parents.  Yes, parents cry and yes, I have seen more pictures of dead, decomposing babies than anyone probably should but, honestly, it sounds much worse than it actually is.

Unlike a lot of social work specialties, my job is without a demographic. Infant loss, tragically, can effect anyone.   I get to meet the rich and the poor and the destitute.  These families come from all backgrounds. They are in the city and in the boondocks.  They speak different languages and they express their grief in ways unique to their own culture.  I have seen families collapse on the ground as the pain washes over them and others who barely remember they had a baby at all.  The one commonality is that they all experienced the death of their baby.

Simply put, they are all saints.  They are such a strong group of women and men, who get up every day and take steps forward when all they want to do is lie down and stay down.  They care about other families who are suffering,  families whom they have never met.  And they love their babies.  Some lived for a minute and others for months, but the life was valuable to them and every moment was cherished.

 I had to write today because I met a family this morning that inspired me beyond what I thought was possible.  The parents cried and held each other.  They laughed and took joy in the brief moments they had with their baby.  They opened their door and allowed me to share in their private and most painful memories.  To this family I say: I wish I was not bound by confidentiality because everyone should know you and shake your hand.  Words cannot express my gratitude and I am a different person tonight than I was this morning.  My heart breaks for your loss and soars with your commitment to each other and your community.

These are the days that I just love my job.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I have no words. I know people go through this stuff and can't imagine how painful it is. I am glad there are social workers out there who specialize in this type of grief support.

    ReplyDelete