Thursday, April 12, 2012

Upon Being Catholic- This is a true story. It's a Cell Phone Miracle

Several years ago I got to experience my very own, personal miracle.  True Story.

It was a winter night in January several years ago.  There had been an ice storm and I was out trying to catch up on some home visits I needed to do.  I was leaving a client's apartment, talking on my super-cool, new, black razor cell phone to my best friend, Holly. (shout out!)

I got into my car and tossed my phone onto the seat next to me.  It landed in a burger king sack that had previously contained my dinner.  I heard the brown paper crunch, but it didn't click in until the next day.  As I was driving out of the apartment complex, I stopped at the garbage bin and tossed some trash away, including the said Burger King sack. 

I went home and snuggled down for the night, escaping the snowfall.  The next day we were indeed snowed in.  I briefly thought about my cell phone, thinking it was still in the front seat, but decided to wait another day before braving the weather to retrieve it.

Finally the sun came out and I went out to get my phone.  It wasn't in the front seat and I started hallucinating that I had brought it inside.  After a day of tearing apart my car and my house, I remembered the brown paper bag crunch, my stomach twisted, vomit hinted at making an appearance and panic set in. 

I drove across town to the apartment complex and, duh, the trash had been removed. Crap.  I had lost my cell phone with all my clients numbers in it. Crap. Crap. Double Crap.

So I did what any self-respecting Catholic would do, turn to the Saints.  This was my exact prayer: "Saint Zita please pray that I find my phone. Send my guardian angels to the dump or where ever to retrieve it and then put it somewhere really obvious so I can find it.  I am stressed out and I need it back."

Peace set in and I continued on with things.  The next day I drove around town, making visits.  Then the next next day, I drove out of town, round trip, 100 miles.  I picked up my kids from school and my daughter and I went to Wal-Mart.  After we finished shopping, we put all the bags in the trunk of my car and went home.  I got out of the car and popped the trunk to retrieve the bags.

And there it was.

My cell phone.

Tucked into the bumper of my car.

It's a miracle.

1 comment: