Sunday, April 15, 2012

Woo Me! I'm a Social Worker

Social Workers refer.  In fact, referring is a cornerstone of our profession.  We know our communities and what it offers to the families we work with.  We have a responsibility to know the scope of services we can provide ourselves and when we need to send the recipients of our service to more specialized care.

I not a picky person about most things.  But when it comes to agencies I trust, I am picky.  I have high standards.  If I send a mother to some agency for service and they treat her like shit, then it rubs back on me. I have even been known to do some under-cover recon when researching a new community resource or one that I have heard negative rumors floating around our community (Tulsa Social Services...This Mean YOU!).

So, community agencies, seeking those all-important Medicaid $$ or needing to up their numbers for a grant proposal...

WOO YOUR LOCAL SOCIAL WORKERS!  We can help. And here is what I am looking for...

  • Your building should be easy to locate without using my GPS.
  • Your service hours should be clearly stated somewhere on the building.
  • I want to see healthy green plants and clean toys in the lobby. I want clean bathrooms. Family Friendly.
  • Your receptionist needs to be smiling, pleasant and helpful. Ideally, I want her semi-orgasmic over the idea of helping people. 
  • This is just a personal pet peeve of mine, but I really don't like referring to the community recipients as "Clients." Boo this word.
  • Minimal paperwork.  I would prefer zero paperwork but I understand you have reports to write.  Just be cautious and sensitive. Only ask what is absolutely necessary.
  • Short wait time.  If your appointments are running late, then have your lovely receptionist make families aware so they can plan their day.
  • Enjoy your job.  If you don't enjoy your job, get out and go do something else.
  • Be creative in helping families.  If you absolutely can do nothing for them, find someone who can.

Remember that good reputations are hard to build and bad reputations last forever.  Try and earn the credibility that your community can bestow upon you at their whim.

No comments:

Post a Comment